Forums

ForumForumMainstream Foru...Mainstream Foru...Feature Request...Feature Request...Dynamic Layout using Ajax?Dynamic Layout using Ajax?
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 1/9/2008 8:05 AM

Modified By Simon Probert  on 1/9/2008 9:21:18 AM

Typically users do not have access to this, but even as a humble (and admittely not very good) developer I find it very hard to lay out views. I think its mainly to do with the two colum layout and the moving up and down of items. If there was a left right it might be easier - even better still would be to adopt the Salesforce/Ajax approach where you simple drag and drop stuff around and have a palette. Obviously under the hood Splendid is alot more powerful and flexible but the tradeoff it's a bit counter intuitive to use. "We" ( I use we to mean all interested parties) should definitely consider making the thing more user friendly - apart from anything you get a guaranteed wow factor when demonstarting the system to potential clients. As anybody who has been around software for a while can tell you - all clients are different and have their own unique ways of doing things. A great way of demo-ing systems is to show within a few minutes how it can be adapted to their environment especially if you are demonstrating to CFO's CEO's and other often non-technical types. ( Usually the ones with the cheque book )

It's definitely worth evaluating salesforce's approach to this - don't bother with any of the "free trials" as there is a developer version which unlocks all the enterprise features as well ( but is restricted to 2 logins ) sign up here and have a look http://www.salesforce.com/form/trial/freetrial-developer.jsp 

To get to the bit I'm banging on about click on "Setup" ( top right ) then on the left under App Setup its Customise > Contacts > Page Layouts > Contact Layout then you click Edit and you can start manipulating the Layout. They all work more or less the same way I'm just mentioning that as an example.

Salesforce is a great product but you can't get down and dirty with it like you can with Splendid - you can only customize it using their API or their own special language for building apps and it would be a month of sundays before you could ever get near he actual database - definitely worth checking out though.

[added] I'm not saying we should copy salesforce - I'm just saying that their approach is one of the best I've seen ;-)

New Post
 1/9/2008 3:12 PM

Modified By Support  on 1/9/2008 4:14:20 PM

Your request is valid, but we have a number of other higher-priority tasks on our plate. 

Also, we have entered into the AJAX territory very slowly so as to ensure the stability of the application.  I'm not sure if you have noticed, but if you visit any of the AJAX laden media sites these days, you will find that the sites have become slow and the browser has become unstable.  We don't want this to happen to SplendidCRM, so we are proceeding with caution.

A related issue is our migration to Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5.  We wonder how many developers would be left behind if we migrated today.  If anyone has an opinion, please voice it here and now.

New Post
 1/10/2008 3:49 AM

Modified By Simon Probert  on 1/10/2008 5:30:16 AM

I have not had enough time to really look at either in detail - other than the workflow foundation which may go a long way in easing the development of a fully integrated workflow. From a purely business-oriented perspective the move toVS2008 and .NET3.5 should happen sooner rather than later as again this is a strong selling point and would give Splendid a competitive advantage. Other CRM vendors, especially the proprietary .net or MSCRM ones will probably not be able to move quite as quickly. Meanwhile most developers would probably embrace the new tech set and what better way to get in there?

With respect to a better interface for dynamic layouts, I agree that a performance hit at the user-end is unacceptable but of course dynamic layout is an administrator function and despite the performance hit, the efficiency gain of being able to adapt layouts quickly would likely outweigh that. But I know you guys are busy so maybe tis is one for "the community"

New Post
 2/20/2008 9:54 PM

re VS2008

We wont be moving from .net2 for at least a couple of years, (we only made it to .net 2 this year ;) )

This mostly in the interest of stability and not wanting to upgrade servers etc.

So I'd vote to at least backwards compatible for a while yet

"This one's tricky. You have to use imaginary numbers, like eleventeen..." - Calvin
Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumMainstream Foru...Mainstream Foru...Feature Request...Feature Request...Dynamic Layout using Ajax?Dynamic Layout using Ajax?